Mt Oklahoma and Mt Ouray

Mount Oklahoma 13,845'

Sept 3, 2022

Labor Day weekend and Laura and I were hopeful to miss some of the crowds for the last summer camping weekend for most people in Colorado. Laura, Hazel and I left early Friday from Colorado Springs and camped near the Halfmoon trailhead near Mount Oklahoma. We found a great spot and were set up in time to cook dinner. Hazel’s always excited to be playing in the tent again and we had a good evening. The next morning, we woke up and drove up the four-wheel-drive road to the trail head and hiked the trail to a clearing below a scree hill. We stopped here and Hazel and I hung out while Laura went to the summit. It took her about an hour before she returned and I took my turn going to the summit. Back on the trail again we carried Hazel down to about a mile from the trail head and she walked the rest of the way out! That night we had a campfire and made s’mores. I had a blast. The next day we hung out in the morning before driving to Marshall Pass. I started Mount Ouray solo around 2:30 PM and it took me about three hours to summit and get back down to the trailhead. We drove around for a while before finding a fantastic camping spot away from everybody and again had a fire and a great evening. Glad we could bring Hazel on this adventure. She sure is fun to get out with.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Mount Sir Donald

Mount Sir Donald British Columbia, Canada July 13, 2026 Mount Sir Donald is listed as one of the 50 classic climbs of North America. Because...

Popular Posts