Little Italy Couloir, Pikes Peak
Laura and I had climbed the little Italy snow couloir on Pikes Peak several times in the past, but I’d never skied it before and wanted to get out for at least one day of skiing outside of the resort this year. I talked Laura and Hazel into heading up in the morning and after stopping at the general store at Glen Cove to get Hazel some sour gummy candy, we drove another mile up the road to where you park and approach little Italy from. Laura and I took turns climbing and skiing the 30° couloir while the other stayed at the base to hang out with Hazel. She had a lot of fun playing in the snow, making snow people, and even learned the basics of self-arrest, sliding down the hill and controlling her speed with the ice ax. The snow conditions at the top of the couloir were icy and wind swept, and there were only a few good turns to be had. It was still a great day out on the mountain and I’m happy to have skied a line I look up at every spring. This is one that we will return to often.
![]() |
| H |









No comments:
Post a Comment